- Apply your skills in Mineralogical sample collection and preparation.
- Do you enjoy the challenge undertaking field trips to remote locations?
- Join CSIRO Minerals Resources
CSIRO is seeking an experienced field technician to support the Mineral Resources Business Unit's research activity by performing a wide range of tasks including field work activities, sample management, sample preparation, basic analytical work such as ASD, portable XRF and SEM-EDS.
As the Research Technician, you will also have responsibility for communicating directly with clients and will need strong communication and interpersonal skills. Your will be focused on the tasks of the group and have the ability to move seamlessly between responsibilities, effectively freeing up resources within the current group to do higher level science.
This position will require you to travel to remote mining sites, weekend work and work outside normal business hours.
Your duties will include:
- Attend field trips to client sites when required and build effective working relationships with client companies and their employees.
- Undertake field work tasks including drill- core sample collection, photography, taking portable XRF (pXRF) and ASD measurements.
- Operate a range of instrumentation eg pXRF, Hylogger/Hychips, ASD and TIMA SEM.
- Take responsibility for sample management ie. enter/manage sample database and workflow from site to analytical facilities (including creating sample lists, preparing/mark up of samples for various stages of preparation, labelling for resin mounts, photography, data entry regarding stage in workflow).
- Assist with laboratory sample preparation (i.e. sample crushing, sawing, drilling, resin work and polishing).
Location: Kensington, WA
Salary: $62K - $79K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
Job reference: 58695
To be successful you will need:
- A trade certificate, associate diploma or degree in a relevant field, or equivalent, relevant experience undertaking mineralogical field and associated laboratory work.
- A Current Australian Drivers License
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to travel and work in the field on mine and exploration sites undertaking client liaison, and sample and data collection activities.
- Experience in preparing samples for and acquisition of mineralogical and geochemical data using, for example, ASD, portable XRF, SEM mineral mapping analyses.
- Demonstrated experience undertaking general laboratory activities with adherence to HSE requirements and maintaining a clean and tidy work environment.
- Experience in work-flow management for mineral mapping (data gathering and analysis).
Before you apply please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position description document
The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate. At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you.
Find out more here! Balance
How to apply: If you wish to apply for this position, please upload 1 document only containing your cover letter and CV/resume that best demonstrates your ability to meet the requirements of the role.
Applications close: 11:59pm AEDT, Sunday 7th October 2018