- Contribute to further development of novel graphene-based materials and devices.
- Develop a scalable and repeatable process for synthesising graphene films.
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s premier science & technology research organisation.
CSIRO Manufacturing Graphene and 2D Materials team seeks to recruit a Research Scientist/Engineer for the further development of novel graphene-based materials and devices. The team is developing a novel graphene-based water membrane and is seeking to grow the team to continue the scale-up of the technology. https://www.csiro.au/en/News/News-releases/2018/Tiny-membrane-makes-Sydney-Harbour-drinkable
As the Research Scientist, you will conduct innovative research leading to scientific achievements that are aligned with CSIRO’s strategies. You may be engaged in scientific activity ranging from fundamental research to the investigation of specific industry or community problems. You will have the opportunity to build and maintain networks, play a lead role in securing project funds, provide scientific leadership and pursue new ideas and approaches that create new concepts.
Your duties will include:
- Prepare detailed design proposals and experimental protocols to develop a scalable and repeatable process for synthesising graphene films.
- Refine and document an optimised process for transferring graphene films onto support structures (glass, polymers, silicon etc) for characterisation and testing.
- Develop and implement a bespoke Membrane Distillation water purification system compatible with graphene based flat sheet membranes.
- Provide guidance and support to interns/laboratory assistants to develop standard protocols and methodologies for testing and characterising graphene films and graphene-based membranes.
Location: Lindfield, NSW
Salary: AU$98k - AU$106k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified Term to 30th June 2022
To be considered you will need:
Under CSIRO policy only those who meet all essential selection criteria can be appointed.
- Relevant doctorate or equivalent relevant work experience in Materials Science, Physics, Chemistry or Engineering
- Demonstrated research experience in design, operating and assessing experimental setups and equipment for CVD and/or Plasma synthesis of graphene or other 2D materials and associated charterisation techniques (SEM, Raman etc)
- Proven experience in process diagnosis and design iteration for improvement and optimisation.
- Demonstrated ability to manage changing priorities and meet project milestones
- Work collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary, often regionally dispersed research team, and business unit to carry out tasks in support of CSIRO's scientific objectives..
- Proven experience work well within a team and autonomously
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including the presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences.
For more information please view the Position Description.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirments of this role.
Sunday, 2nd February 2020, 11:59 AEST