Research Officer - Thin Film Scientist
Research Officer - Thin Film Scientist
- Use your skills to develop epitaxial thin films for advanced electronic devices
- Work with a range of research and industrial stakeholders
- Flexible work arrangements! Achieve the right balance for you
CSIRO’s Manufacturing Business Unit combines multi-disciplinary scientific and engineering capability and uses world-class infrastructure to partner with industry in the development of innovative products and processes that allow Australian manufacturers to be globally competitive and environmentally sustainable.
CSIRO’s Applied Physics Group is a diverse team of scientists, engineers and research staff which develops devices and engineered systems for the benefit industrial partners including in aerospace, space, defence, renewable energy, telecommunications, minerals and mining, and transportation. In particular, quantum devices is an area for significant expansion and we are seeking to fill a number of exciting new roles across the group.
We are seeking an experienced Research Officer – Thin Film Scientist to join the Quantum Devices and Materials Team in the Devices & Engineering System Program. In this diverse role, you will play a key role in the development of epitaxial thin films for advanced electronic devices and other applications. You will use your skills to contribute to the development and growth of CSIRO’s physical vapour deposition capabilities and work with a range of researchers and industrial collaborators.
This role is offered on a full-time, part-time (minimum 0.8 FTE) or job share basis (if circumstances permit).
Your duties will include:
- Running epitaxial thin film research and development program for the synthesis of coatings to meet specification for industrial applications.
- Taking responsibility for thin film production and characterisation/quality control activities and interpret results and implement action plans.
- Troubleshooting and basic equipment maintenance, including laser and vacuum components.
- Participating in project scoping, budgeting, and planning.
- Initiating and maintaining collaborative relationships with external researchers, industry associates and managing contracts and transferring technology to industry.
Location: Sydney (Lindfield) NSW
Salary: AU$100k – AU$108k (pro-rata for part-time) plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Relevant skills and knowledge derived from tertiary education and/or relevant work experience in Thin Films, Materials Science, Device Electronics, Physics, Chemical Engineering or Nanotechnology.
- Proven experience in performing hands-on experimental R&D in a thin film science.
- Sound experience in operating and maintaining advanced high vacuum equipment (preferably coating equipment).
- Demonstrated impact on outcomes in R&D setting - for example, development of commercial IP, commercial product, or process development.
- Good attention to detail, especially when carrying out experimental work.
- Good oral and written communication skills coupled with the ability to work effectively with a range of stakeholders.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be eligible for this position, you must be an Australian Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain an Australian Government security clearance at the Baseline level.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
28 September 2021, 11:00 pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 28 Sep 2021
- NSW - Lindfield
- AU$100k – AU$108k (pro-rata for part-time) plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time