- Use your electrical systems expertise to support observatory operations
- Work in a world-leading radio-astronomy research facility at Parkes, NSW
- Join CSIRO – Australia's premier science & technology research organisation!
Are you a skilled Electrician with an interest in Space & Astronomy? CSIRO is seeking an experienced Electrical Technician to join our dynamic team based at the widely acclaimed Parkes Radio Telescope Facility.
CSIRO Space and Astronomy (S&A) manages CSIRO’s world-class facilities for radio astronomy and spacecraft tracking, is internationally renowned for its radio astronomy research and engineering expertise. This role will be part of the Australia Telescope National Facility (ATNF) Operations Program, which manages the operations of the radio telescopes at three CSIRO observatories near the towns of Parkes, Coonabarabran, Narrabri (NSW).
Working collaboratively with other engineering operations staff, you will be responsible for a broad range of electrical distribution systems and electrical control systems, and managing the maintenance & ongoing operations of the radio telescope and supporting systems across our NSW Observatories.
Applications are invited across two capability levels and the successful candidate will be appointed at the level commensurate with their skills and experience. More detail around the difference between the two levels is outlined in the Position Description.
Your duties will include:
- Undertaking routine maintenance and equipment upgrades across a range of electrical systems that include: electrical distribution switchboards and power reticulation (up to 415V), electrical control boards and cabinets (mixed voltages of ELV and LV), DC and AC Motors and tachometers, standby diesel generator supply and control (100 and 330kVA units), some air conditioning plant & equipment, and the routine testing and tagging of appliances.
- Maintaining accurate maintenance logs, engineering drawings and documentation.
- Ensuring test equipment, electrical spares and components, consumables and other workshop equipment is well stocked and maintained.
- Assisting in a range of site activities, and interacting & cooperating with other technical and non-technical staff to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the observatory systems.
- Collaborating with external stakeholders to design, develop and install upgrades to Electrical Infrastructure.
- Participating in the after-hours on-call system, and being able to attend to after-hours breakdowns and work flexible hours if required.
Location: Parkes, NSW
Salary: AU$66K to AU$98K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Relevant trade qualification for an Electrician.
- Demonstrated industrial experience in:
- maintenance and operation of a broad range of electrical systems including power generation and distribution, AC and DC motors, servo drive systems and hydraulics.
- design, installation and commissioning of electrical servo drive systems and/or electrical control systems involving power electronics/electrical devices including both relay logic and PLC’s.
- Practical knowledge of the design and installation and relevant standards of electrical switchboards and electrical distribution systems.
- Experience in planning and conducting the maintenance, repairs, fault finding and diagnosis of electrical systems including interpretation of drawings.
- Experience with computer aided drawing (CAD) techniques and computer-based analysis and report writing.
- Good written and verbal communication skills and ability to utilise computer software packages for general correspondence and documentation updates.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Please note this role requires the ability to work outside of normal hours and travel to other sites/observatories in NSW to assist with upgrades and maintenance as required.
To be eligible to apply for this role, you must be currently residing in Australia as an Australian/New Zealand Citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
1 November 2021, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 01 Nov 2021
- NSW - Parkes
- AU$66K to AU$98K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time