CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Structural Design and 3D Printing of Shape Memory Alloy - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Structural Design and 3D Printing of Shape Memory Alloy
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation.
- Do you have a PhD in mechanical engineering, materials science and engineering, or a relevant discipline?
- Apply innovative metallic additive manufacturing and digital manufacturing methods for Australian industry
- Join the CSIRO Manufacturing Advanced Materials and Processing Program in this exciting postdoctoral role
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will join the Advanced Materials and Processing Program in the Manufacturing Business Unit, to apply innovative metallic additive manufacturing and digital manufacturing methods for Australian Industry. In this role, the Fellow will undertake research on designing and developing shape memory alloy (SMA)-based metamaterials via modelling and additive manufacturing. You will use your skills in computational modelling and simulation, materials science and engineering to design and manufacture SMA prototypes capable of performing complex actuations.
Your duties will include:
- Designing metamaterials and structures with deformation-dependant stiffness, shape modulation and shape memory effect by computational modelling and simulation.
- Fabricating SMA metamaterials/prototypes via 3D printing, performing the characterisation and evaluating their properties.
- Correlating experimental testing results to the modelling predictions and modifying the models accordingly.
- Selecting SMAs with the desired actuation performance at relevant temperature ranges.
- Designing and producing a SMA structure/prototype with controlled/predictable actuation performance.
Location: Clayton, Victoria
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as mechanical engineering or materials science and engineering. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Proven record of using computational modelling and simulation in designing and developing metamaterials/structures.
- Knowledge and skills in materials selection for a component/structure.
- Understanding of materials characterisation and testing.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including the presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible for this role, you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or Australian temporary resident currently residing in Australia and be able to commence in the role by 30 June 2022.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
30 January 2022, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 30 Jan 2022
- VIC - Clayton
- AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: