Field Research Technician - [Archived Advertisement]
Field Research Technician
- Interested to grow a career in agricultural research?
- Work with a collaborative, multidisciplinary research team that promotes a flexible work environment
- Join Australia’s National Science and Innovation Agency!
CSIRO’s Cotton Breeding Group is a part of the broader team of Food and Agriculture and develops new cotton varieties for the Australian cotton industry. It is a matter of pride for us to say that 100 percent of Australian cotton is grown from CSIRO varieties and we're adding value at all levels of the Australian cotton industry, including molecular biology, plant breeding, crop management and post-harvest processing.
This Field Research Technician role will play a vital role in assisting the Breeding Group in conducting experimental design, capturing data and processing information to transform our rainfed breeding pipeline. Tucked away in the heart of the rich Namoi Valley located in the northwest of NSW, Narrabri is known to be the second richest agricultural Shire in Australia.
What is so interesting about this role? It’ll give you a very collaborative team with some great learning exposure to understand the entire research value chain. In addition, you will benefit from working at our Myall Vale site (Gomeroi Country, Narrabri) as well as a number of other regionally located sites across NSW and Qld involving collection and processing of samples and at certain times of the year also enjoy the sowing and harvesting experience.
Your duties will include:
- Designing new experiments, collecting data from field and greenhouse experiments and processing various samples.
- Operating relevant agricultural machinery for sowing and harvesting of field experiments at Myall Vale and other remote locations.
- Providing support to all other cotton breeding activities like ginning, hand picking, delinting, rogueing, field trial maintenance, seed packaging and maintaining greenhouse experiment.
- Working under technical guidance and planning operations to meet experiment and/or project demands.
- Performing experiments, laboratory analysis or technology development activities (some non-routine) using a range of techniques, often working on a number of parallel and competing tasks.
- Designing new processes or apparatus by adapting existing techniques and components to meet special circumstances.
Location: Narrabri, Myall Vale, NSW
Salary: AU$68k - AU$84k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Relevant experience and/or understanding of scientific principles including experimental design, data capture and analysis.
- Willingness to travel to field sites at short notice and if required work over the weekend only during planting and harvesting season
- Ability to lift, bend, walk and undertake manual and repetitive motion and operate equipment safely in accordance with our Health and Safety procedures.
- A current driver’s license
- Adaptability to work in a unique natural environment whilst maintaining health and safety requirements.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description.
Applications for this position are open to Australian citizens or permanent residents only.
Appointment to this role is subject to the provision of a national police check and pre-employment medical examination prior to commencement.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
03 February 2022, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 03 Feb 2022
- NSW - Narrabri
- AU$68k - AU$84k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time