Senior Electrical Power Systems Researcher - [Archived Advertisement]
Senior Electrical Power Systems Researcher
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our?vision towards reconciliation.
- Do you have experience in electromechanical and/or electromagnetic transient simulation of power systems?
- Be a part of the Power Systems team within CSIRO Energy
- Create a dynamic career path in this exciting role
CSIRO Energy is playing a key role in Australia’s energy transition. With work spanning from energy efficiency in buildings to the operation of electricity systems, the CSIRO team works across a large range of industries and application domains. Our research includes establishing costs of different technology pathways and modelling different future scenarios - this is often a contentious area and the successful candidate will lead stakeholder discussions and communicate this research.
As the Senior Electrical Power Systems Researcher, you will lead applied research activities in electrical power systems and energy network modelling and control, working with a range of partners to take the latest optimisation, simulation and analytical techniques to impact the growth of Australia’s electricity system. You will have the opportunity to build and maintain international networks of research collaborators and deployment partners, play a lead role in securing project funds, and pursue new ideas and approaches that create new concepts.
Your duties will include:
- Developing commercialisable intellectual property in the field of power systems engineering.
- Interacting and collaborating with diverse industrial and research partners, including network service providers, universities, energy market operators, regulators and technology providers.
- Leading our power systems transient analysis and simulation research, developing our strategy to tackle the open challenges in the area, and pursuing funding opportunities to realise it.
- Leading and mentoring junior research staff.
- Combining the delivery of pragmatic solutions needed by industry project work with the extraction of valuable scientific contributions that advance our research strategy.
- Exposing our research and its outcomes to clients and the scientific community through oral presentations, webinars and written technical reports and scientific papers.
Location: Newcastle, NSW
Salary: AU$141k to AU$157k pa + up to 15.4% super
Tenure: Specified Term of 36 Months
To be considered you will need:
- A Bachelor’s degree and PhD or equivalent relevant work experience in Engineering or Mathematics, with a focus on power systems engineering.
- Extensive experience with industry exposure in the field of electromechanical and/or electromagnetic transient simulation of power systems, including real-time simulation (software or hardware-in-the-loop) using industry leading technologies such as Opal-RT and RTDS RSCAD.
- Extensive experience in running electrical generation/distribution/transmission simulation studies, including creating simulation data sets from first principles.
- Solid coding experience in at least one of the following languages: Python, FORTRAN, C++, Julia
- A strong record of science innovation as evident through quality publications, IP generation, and commercialisation.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa (sponsorship may be provided to eligible candidates).
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
10 Februrary 2022, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 10 Feb 2022
- NSW - Newcastle
- AU$141k to AU$157k pa + up to 15.4% super
- Work Type:
Power Generation and Distribution