$89,674 plus 9.5% Superannuation
Temporary from 02 November 2020 to 29 October 2021
We are the City Of Melbourne, a place to be bold and inspirational.
We are rapidly transforming to meet the evolving challenges faced by a global city. With a vision of being a leading organisation for a leading capital city, our mission is to create positive impact for our community. Each day, we work with passion and purpose so that together we achieve incredible things.
Together we Make the Difference
How this position will Make the Difference to City of Melbourne…
The City Design Division provides multidisciplinary design services across the organisation, with capabilities across all stages of the design process, ranging from strategic design through to project delivery. The Division plays a major role in shaping the city and influencing a future Melbourne that continues to be recognised internationally for the opportunities and services it offers all people to live, learn, work and prosper in a high-quality and high-amenity urban environment.
Reporting to the Team Leader Urban Design and Design Review, the Urban Designer will provide expert urban design advice on planning applications and major projects and prepare urban design projects, frameworks, strategies, policies and guidelines to enhance the City.
Key to the success of this role will not only be your urban design expertise and demonstrated experience, but also your skilled communication, stakeholder engagement, problem solving, and project management skills. You will be confident in making logical, informed and supportable urban design decisions and exercise discretion in the delivery of projects.
You can bring… (Selection criteria)
- Ability to demonstrate and display City of Melbourne Values – accountability, integrity, courage, respect for self and others, and striving for excellence
- A relevant tertiary qualification(s) in Urban Design or related professional discipline - landscape architecture and/or architecture.
- Previous experience in providing clear and effective design critique and commentary on development proposals, including negotiating high quality design outcomes with development groups.
- A sound understanding of urban design principles, including the ability to propose imaginative and deliverable strategic design work that responds to community needs, urban trends, spatial context and history of place.
- Demonstrated ability to develop effective working relationships and work in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects including balancing a number of tasks simultaneously, setting priorities and meeting deadlines and budget commitments which meet or exceed client expectations.
- High level of communication skills including graphic competency and well developed verbal and written skills.
By joining us, you will become part of a remarkable team who work in a constructive and inclusive culture to shape the future of this city. Together, we champion difference, celebrate achievement and recognise positive impact.
How to apply…
As part of the online application form you are required to:
- attach your resume
- attach a separate cover letter, responding to the selection criteria (no more than two pages), as listed above under ‘You can bring…’
Please address your covering letter to Margie McKay, Team Leader Urban Design and Design Review.
Applications will be accepted up until 11:45pm Wednesday 30 September 2020.
The position description for this role will not be provided at this stage of application.
For those interested in working with us, the City of Melbourne offers a great range of benefits.
City of Melbourne is proud to be a workplace that champions diversity. Our commitment is for our people to be safe, included and supported so that they can be at their best. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from people regardless of their gender identity and expression, ethnicity, cultural background, sexual orientation, disability and age. We look for the right values, skills and knowledge to build our capabilities so that we can best deliver for our community.