Bring your technical expertise and exceptional leadership capability to these newly created Manager Statutory Planning roles in our Planning and Building branch
Salary commencing from $141,366 Total Employment Package (dependent upon experience)
Permanent or Senior Officer Contract up until March 2026
We are the City of Melbourne, a place to be bold and inspirational.
We are rapidly transforming to meet the evolving challenges faced by a global city. With a vision of being a leading organisation for a leading capital city, our mission is to create positive impact for our community. Each day, we work with passion and purpose so that together we achieve incredible things.
Together we Make the Difference
How this position will Make the Difference to City of Melbourne
The Planning and Building branch exists to shape and protect the identity of Melbourne. Our vision is to be proactive and considered in facilitating sustainable city growth while maintaining what is unique to Melbourne. We provide universally accessible statutory services to facilitate a safe, liveable, vibrant and prosperous city to the present and long-term benefit of all people.
As one of four Manager’s Statutory Planning you will be directly responsible for leading and managing a team of 6 urban planning and subdivision specialists, investing in the personal and professional growth of our people and delivering exemplary outcomes for our customers and our city.
Reporting to our Head of Statutory Planning, you will work as part of our planning leadership team in supporting, managing and developing the Statutory Planning Unit to foster a constructive culture and ensure we operate in accordance with relevant legislation and the overall goals and objectives of the unit, branch and the organisation.
As an influential leader, you will play a key role in managing complex matters through to resolution, often with senior stakeholders with conflicting interests. You will be responsible for maintaining and leveraging strategic stakeholder relationships in order to negotiate authoritative outcomes.
We are looking for someone who will bring their technical expertise, exceptional leadership capability and the ability to identify opportunities for improvement in a global city context.
By joining us, you will become part of a remarkable team who work in a constructive and inclusive culture to shape the future of this city. Together, we champion difference, celebrate achievement and recognise positive impact.
You can bring… (Selection criteria)
- Ability to demonstrate and display City of Melbourne Values – accountability, integrity, courage, respect for self and others, and striving for excellence.
- Leadership capability including leading by example and consistently working towards a constructive culture.
- Ability to articulate and demonstrate benefits of positive culture and values.
- Demonstrated experience in leading a team to achieve high performance outcomes with coaching skills to develop team capabilities, team cohesion and the ability to effectively manage conflict and under performance.
- Analytical and lateral thinking skills and the ability to take the initiative, drive change and implement innovations.
- Inter-personal, negotiation and persuasion skills with the ability to use discretion and judgement.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, manage and maintain business plans and associated budgetary and financial management requirements.
- Proven experience effectively managing issues within a highly political and complex environment.
- Personal commitment to ensuring our team embraces diversity, inclusion and equal opportunity principles.
- Qualification to degree level in urban planning or eligibility for affiliate membership of the Planning Institute of Australia (PIA) and a current Victorian Driver’s Licence.
- Demonstrated experience in a similar role, leading and managing operational planning functions in accordance with relevant legislation.
- A detailed understanding of relevant legislative and regulatory instruments and the ability to accurately interpret and apply them to daily operational matters.
- Experience representing the organisation at various tribunals, and political and public forums.
- Proven problem solving and negotiation abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare, review and present comprehensive and accurate correspondence, reports, recommendations and advice that may be subject to scrutiny.
- High level organisational skills and the ability to work in a semi-autonomous environment.
- Experience collaborating with seniors and peers to contribute to cross-organisational strategic plans.
How to apply…
Please apply for the position via the City of Melbourne Careers Page, link below.
City of Melbourne - Mercury eRecruit
Please address your covering letter to Larry Parsons, Head of Statutory Planning
Applications will be accepted up until 11:45pm Tuesday 23 February 2021
For those interested in working with us, the City of Melbourne offers a great range of benefits. If you have any questions, or for more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
City of Melbourne is proud to be a workplace that champions diversity. Our commitment is for our people to be safe, included and supported so that they can be at their best. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from people regardless of their gender identity and expression, ethnicity, cultural background, sexual orientation, disability and age. We look for the right values, skills and knowledge to build our capabilities so that we can best deliver for our community.